While selectively harvesting within an SMZ keep the following BMP guidelines in mind:
- Maintain a minimum SMZ width of 50’ on each side of intermittent and perennial streams.
- Maintain a minimum of 50 sq. ft. of basal area evenly distributed within the SMZ.
- Immediately remove any logging debris accidentally dropped into any stream.
- Use directional felling to avoid felling trees across streams.
- Minimize the number of bank trees harvested as to maintain shading and filtering effects of riparian trees.
- Minimize soil disturbance while operating within the SMZ.
- Re-establish cover as soon as possible in areas without adequate vegetative cover.
https://tfatraining.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/pg34.jpg - image