As mandated by Amendments to the Clean Water Act, and regulated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, forest roads in jurisdictional wetlands including “waters of the United States” must be constructed and maintained in accordance with 15 Mandatory Best Management Practices to retain Section 404 exemption status.
The following is a summary of the 15 mandatory BMPs:
- State BMPs are critical.
- Road locations should minimize stream crossings.
- Culverts should be adequately sized and properly installed.
- Restore and stabilize permanent crossings.
- Remove and stabilize temporary crossings.
- There should be no flow restrictions (culverts, rock, etc…) to streams.
- MINIMIZE! RESTORE! STABILIZE!